Saturday, August 10, 2013

Random library book about drawing leads to subpar drawings of surfers

Now that I work from home and am able to hear my thoughts, and the echoes reverberating around my thoughts, I spend a lot of time these days at the library trying to find ways to fill the quiet with ideas. A recent choice was a book on sketching, called Drawing From Within: Unleashing Your Creative Potential. I hadn't drawn since high school, since I haven't needed homemade posters since then.

Why did I check out this thing out? I cannot explain the random decisions I make when faced with a shelf of books. I've checked out books about child psychology (not pregnant), why women in their thirties are disenchanted with the goals of feminism, the shorting of subprime mortgage loans eight years ago, life advice from Katie Couric...If I were ever arrested and my library records subpoenaed, the FBI would be quickly thrown off the trail. But I am drawn (pun intended) to something in this latest art book. Maybe it is the fluid lines of the examples. Maybe it is the way the author dismisses frustrating rules that formal art education sets, and mandates the reader to only "have fun and draw." I like simple instruction. And I like disregarding rules I'm not talented enough to follow.

I call this one, "Mick Fanning gets barreled by wave, does not fall"

So, I did as the author advised and bought a sketch pad and some pencils, with erasers. It struck me immediately as a very odd thing to do. Think about it: when was the last time you bought a pencil? And these pencils still needed to be manually sharpened, which blew my mind. Anyway, then I got to drawing one evening, while M needed alone time to watch Battlestar Galactica (I don't mean to turn him into a geek caricature, but it is just so effortless).

"Thomas Woods enjoys pleasant outing"

But since my creative vision stops at checking out library books about art, I decided to just copy things out of the Surfing Magazine that M had left lying around on the coffee table. It was quite peaceful and cathartic, and for a moment, I imagined myself indulging in the path that so many take, the one of self-discovery and non-capitalism and diving into activities purely for the sake of nurturing my inner child.

"Kolohe Andino catches air, hides face behind his arm because it is so scary"

Although now that I'm done with the sketches, I don't really know what to do with them. It's obvious they have zero commercial value, even in that least regulated of marketplaces, Etsy. My dismay at the final, non-mortgage-paying product far outweighs my enjoyment in the activity. I guess my temporary Degas has vanished in the wake of my self-discovery: you can take the girl out of capitalism, but you can't take the capitalism out of the girl.

"Balaram Stack does something weird with his legs, stays on board"


"Ozzie Wright gets vertical, realizes the wave is down there"


"Duncan Macfarlane gets barreled, presumably likes that a wall of water is about to crash over him"




2 comments: