Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Date Night with a Developer

M has a very concise and clear list of things that make him happy: family and friends, food, surfing, games, solving problems, and being right. The End.

The things that make me happy are dependent on variables that change with other variables (for example, I paddled out with M the other day, and had a lot of fun despite being eaten by the waves. Will I do it again anytime soon? Probably not). So, for the sake of not spending hours in discussion, our date nights are usually centered on things that M has thought up, and hopefully my mood cooperates.

For the record, M is really good at taking me out on dates. He finds good restaurants, he holds the car door open, he grabs the check, he makes conversation by telling me about all the interesting things that happened during his day, he asks about my day, and then he is somehow both supportive and snarky (supportively snarky?) in his commentary. He is also touchingly offended when I forget about Date Night.

A recent restaurant pick. My husband looks kind of creepy.
But if we're all being honest, I'm asking a lot for you to be happy about how fantastic another couple's dates are. So below, I give you examples of our other date nights that might make you privately glad that you are not a part of this relationship:


One day, M came home with a raging headache, but this didn't stop him from letting me read aloud Slate Magazine's fictional war of attrition between Google and Apple. Despite being curled up in pain next to me, he still laughed at Google's Operation Ghostfruit to make Apple disappear from search results and the Apple Army made up of loyalists wearing bright t-shirts in primary colors. I got to share something I thought was entertaining for both of us, and he got to lay down and not have to talk.

I don't know who is responsible for this, but M heard about a cyberpunk-themed asymmetrical two-player card game called Netrunner and bought it immediately on Amazon. And then he made me play it. One player is the Corporation and the other is the Hacker. The Corporation protects its servers with "ice" and tries to advance its agendas. The Hacker tries to break the ice and steal the Corporation's agendas or deplete the Corporation's resources. M usually wins this game because it is hard for me to think while I'm also sulking. The one time I've won, I had to "kill" the Hacker by snaring him with a faux agenda, and I find killing my husband to be an unpleasant task. It's ok around this point to feel sorry for me.
Here we are, learning about the latest start-up, Vinely, which held a wine tasting at Mogl's offices. M isn't normally much interested in wine tastings, but this one was kind of geeky. They have you rate each wine according to sweetness, texture, etc. then figure out your wine "personality" based on an algorithm and assign you a wine of the month they think you'd like, based on your personality (not surprisingly, my preferred wine is something like "Welch's Grape Juice."). M also loves Mogl's concept and talking to other developers, and I got to see my other friends from the tech/ recruiting community, so the night worked out pretty well for both of us.
What's next on the table for us? Thanks to our friend Deron, who spent half an hour selling the merits of "Sharknado" to us ("You guys, at first the movie dips way below equilibrium satisfaction, and you want to die inside, and then it takes you through a roller coaster of emotions, but then the end comes and you're like 'Whatttt!!' and it is totally worth it. Trust me."), it might be this. Let me know if you want to join us, but I won't be offended, or surprised, if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment